Friday, January 23, 2009

I Am 16 Going On...


Okay, I'm really 26, but just six weeks ago I was 25 and tomorrow I'll be 28.


Now if you know me, you know that math was not my strongest subject but I am completely correct on this (at least the way my in-laws calculate age).


Monday marks the lunar New Year, which is THE holiday of the year for Chinese. 2009 is the year of the ox. On New Year's day one turns another year older, regardless of thier actual birth month. Many older folks also add another year to that, counting the nine months in the womb. So tomorrow I will turn 27 to most people, and for many of the older folks around our community, I'll be 28. I'm not sure how this works for my little guy, since he's just approaching five months, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Update: The little guy is now one year old! Guess he's just too little to be passed off as two.

When asked, I always say that I am whatever age I happen to be; so until December 12 I will state that I am 26. This does confuse people who know my in-laws since they will have been told a different age. Like last year, when my mother-in-law would go shopping with me and people would ask my age. Since I can understand this question in Chinese, I would answer. She would also answer giving a different age.



A few weeks ago I was talking to a student and I asked if she was born in 1987 or 1988. She said 1987. I told her she was the same age as my brother. Her reply, "Yeah, I'm 23." I was taken back for a moment wondering how this could be since my brother is only 21. Then I remembered.
So if you are ever here and are sensetive about your age, lower it by a few years when you are asked. Better yet, just decline to say.

No comments: